– If he remains a visible player, no one wants to be publicly associated with him, says the leader of a powerful interest organization.
Outgoing President Donald Trump still refused to admit any guilt for the congressional storm when he traveled to Texas on Tuesday night to boast of the unfinished wall against Mexico. He describes the Supreme Court process as ridiculous.
At the same time, however, there were more and more party colleagues who both directly and indirectly distanced themselves from their own president in the corridors of power in Washington DC
– During the time it took for Air Force One to fly Donald Trump back from the border in Texas, the political ground fell under his feet, writes BBC’s Anthony Zurcher in a political analysis.
Also on the personal and business level, the challenges are for Trump.
Among other things, criminal cases are pending in the state of New York. Large banks now refuse to cooperate with the Trump Organization, Trump’s golf courses have been deprived of the opportunity to host important golf tournaments and a growing number of large companies are distancing themselves from the Trump Empire.
“If he remains a visible player, no one wants to be publicly associated with him because he wants to be a symbol of the destabilization of the American political system,” said Kathryn Wylde, head of the influential interest group Partnership for New York City. to The Washington Post.
– A ridiculous political theater
The House of Representatives will hold a vote on Wednesday on whether to sue President Donald Trump in connection with the storming of Congress last Wednesday. The Democrats have a majority in the House of Representatives and will thus probably get a majority for a Supreme Court indictment. Now, several high-ranking Republicans have also flagged that they want to stand behind a Supreme Court trial.
– The Republicans who support a Supreme Court lawsuit are obviously part of the Republican establishment. They are undoubtedly part of the establishment in Washington DC One of the Republican congressmen is, for God’s sake, the daughter of Dick Cheney. The reason why these Republicans publicly support such a ridiculous political theater is to end up in favor with the DC establishment while the opposition has control for the next two years, says chairman of the board of Republicans Abroad Norway, Austin Rasmussen, to Nettavisen.
LIVE: Follow the vote on federal law against Donald Trump here
– Never been committed a major betrayal
The third most powerful Republican in the House of Representatives, Liz Cheney, who is the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, says she will vote in federal court. Cheney believes Trump “ignited the flame” of the attack that resulted in the loss of five lives.
“There has never been a major betrayal by a president of office and the constitution,” Cheney said in a statement.
Three other Republican congressmen – John Katko, Adam Kinzinger and Fred Upton – say they will vote for a federal lawsuit against Trump.
Senate Leader Mitch McConnell, who is a bauta in the Republican Party, is said to have told confidential supporters that he is very pleased that the Democrats have initiated a Supreme Court lawsuit against Trump, writes The New York Times. Furthermore, he is said to have said that Trump has committed actions that qualify for a Supreme Court trial, according to the same newspaper. The newspaper writes that McConnell sees the Supreme Court process as a golden opportunity for the party to distance itself from Trump.
– No political capital to make on it
However, the chairman of the board of Republicans Abroad Norway believes it is a bad decision for these Republicans to vote for the Supreme Court.
– I do not understand what kind of political capital they have to earn from this. There is no political capital to raise for someone who wants a supreme court. The Supreme Court process is a purely symbolic matter. We are in the last week of Trump’s presidential term, and the Supreme Court process will never be adopted by the Senate, says Anders Rasmussen to Nettavisen.
– This says something about where their priorities lie, but also something about where the priorities of the Democrats lie. It is pointless to initiate a Supreme Court trial now. We are in the middle of a pandemic, and this is what they choose to spend their time on. Besides, I do not see any basis for suing Trump. I know they blame Trump for the storming of Congress last week, but I think the blame does not lie primarily with him. These are people who have made their own choices, he says.
– A Supreme Court trial is a waste of time. I also think that about the 25th constitutional amendment, says Rasmussen.
– Do you think the Republicans who support a Supreme Court lawsuit are traitors?
– It’s hard to call them traitors to the Republican Party. But perhaps in the sense that they are in front of their voter base, says Rasmussen.
– Do you not think Trump bears any blame at all for his violent rhetoric and encouragement in advance?
– If we are not to blame the actual perpetrators for their actual misdeeds, then I think it is enough guilt to distribute among very many, not only Trump and the Republicans, but also the Democrats and the media, says Rasmussen who believes that the Democrats and the media have been well as harsh in his language and rhetoric as Trump has been.
– The country is deeply divided. There’s a conflict going on here, and it’s not Trump’s rhetoric that makes these people so angry. The media must soon realize this, says Rasmussen.
– Both parties are weakened and divided
– Do you fear for the future of the Republican Party?
– I believe that both parties are now in a weakened situation. Democrats are also divided. Democrats now have control over both the executive (the president) and the legislature (Congress), and there are several factions within the party trying to gain control of them. You have radical factions, liberal factions, progressive factions, sub-factions such as BLM (Black Lives Matter editor’s note), the Bernie Sanders faction and the establishment with Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi at the helm, says Rasmussen.
– In the Republican Party, you have the MAGA wing, the libertarian wing and the establishment with Mitch McConnell at the helm. The origin of this division we see in both parties is a common conflict over ideologies. I believe that the two-party system in the United States will experience a tremor in the coming years. I do not think the two-party system will disappear, but that this is the prelude to new versions of the parties, he says.
Trump and many of his supporters have been making unsubstantiated allegations that the election has been stolen from them since election day on November 8.
– Are you among the Republicans who believe that the election was stolen from you, Rasmussen?
– I consider it a realistic possibility, given all the rule changes at the last minute and the untested universal postal voting system that was implemented on a huge scale for the 2020 election. It was obviously election fraud, but I have not seen any evidence that it was enough to be able to influence the final outcome, and will therefore not claim that the election was stolen in that sense. It was clearly, at the very least, the rig between the technology giants’ censorship and traditional media that acted as the PR department of the Democratic Party. But I do not want to go so far as to say that the election was “stolen”, is Rasmussen’s answer.
Will hardly be convicted in the Senate
A two-thirds majority in the Senate is required for Trump to be convicted in the Supreme Court. That means the Democrats in the Senate need 17 Republican senators on their side to get the president convicted, which is unlikely. Should Trump be found guilty by the Senate, he could be deprived of the right to stand for election to political office forever.
LIVE: Follow the vote on the Supreme Court for Donald Trump here
Vice President Mike Pence has ruled out the use of Amendment 25, which would trigger a process to remove Trump as president immediately. In that case, Pence must have received support from half of the government members to get through this process.
Here you can deliver Viking Lotto
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nettavisen by www.nettavisen.no. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!