YouTube doesn’t make downloading videos easy, but the lack of a dedicated button can be made up for without too much trouble. VLC, in particular, can be of great help.
VLC is the Swiss army knife of media playback, and it’s not easy to find an audio or video format that it can’t read. In addition, the software is present on a large number of operating systems. But these are not his only qualities. VLC can also be of great help in downloading YouTube video. The manipulation is not necessarily very well known, but it is accessible.
The process that we are presenting to you here is carried out with the most recent version of VLC, namely version 3.0.14. It also works with some older versions of the software. Don’t hesitate to try it out for yourself. However, for convenience it may be best to download the latest version of the program, in order to benefit from all its novelties.
How to download YouTube video with VLC
- Launch VLC on your computer;
- Go to the YouTube video of your choice and copy its address (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_RzLCPM-Y) ;
- In VLC, click on “Media” in the menu at the top left, then “Open a network stream …”;
- In the “Network” tab, paste the address in the “Enter a network URL” field in the window in the center of the screen;
- Click on the “Play” button in the window and wait for the video to load (it all depends on your connection);
- Pause the video (it is not compulsory, but it will avoid disturbing you during the rest of the manipulation) and then click on “Tools”, in the menu, then “Media information”;
- You will then see at the bottom of the window a “Location” field with a very long rather obscure address. Copy it;
- Then return to your web browser, paste this address in the field provided for this purpose (the URL bar) and press the Enter key;
- The video then loads into the browser, without the YouTube interface around;
- You just have to right click with your mouse and “Save video as” (the formula may vary from one operating system to another and from one browser to another), from say the name you want to give the file and then where you want to put it. That’s all !
The only downside is that the video you get is not necessarily the one with the highest quality on YouTube. It is not, however, awful. In the test video we used, the resolution of the copy we recorded on the PC is quite suitable: 720p, or HD Ready. We are far from the porridge of pixels specific to 144p, the lowest quality on YouTube.
The continuation in video
Source: Numerama by www.numerama.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Numerama by www.numerama.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!