Older people aged 85-99 are six times more likely to be hospitalized for dehydration than those aged 65-69. Dehydration in old age can often be severe and can sometimes be life-threatening.
|Dehydration in old age comes with a lot of dangers. Falling due to dehydration can cause serious, often life-threatening injuries. In addition, dehydration results in urinary tract infections, lung and tooth problems, kidney stones, constipation, and reduces brain function.|
In old age, in principle, in the same way approx. for 2-2.5 liters of fluid per day the body needs it than an average adult, yet, due to some age-related changes, dehydration is much more common in them.
- The elderly are taking more medications, which can increase the amount of fluid that is excreted in the urine, block thirst, and affect hydration in other ways.
- Many seniors have some form of obstruction in their movement, so they intentionally limit the frequency of urination and drink less fluid.
- The kidneys’ ability to retain fluids is reduced, so more water is excreted in the urine.
- As the memory of the elderly also tends to deteriorate, they often forget about drinking.
What can we do to get adequate hydration for our elderly family members?
- Many diseases and conditions in old age require a special diet – such as diabetes, digestive problems, difficulty swallowing – and it is important to adjust the amount and quality of your daily fluid intake accordingly.
- The elderly often find it difficult to drink, but they prefer to eat foods with a higher water content – soup, vegetables, yoghurt.
- If, due to chewing or swallowing difficulties, they cannot cope with raw vegetables and fruits, prepare them in steamed, layered or stuffed form; pierced to a sauce, soup or smoothie.
- Excess water is lost due to heat, so make sure the room is always at the right temperature.
Source: Patika Magazin Online by www.patikamagazin.hu.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Patika Magazin Online by www.patikamagazin.hu. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!