According to the Associated Press on the 12th (local time), there were rumors that Al-Zawahiri was dead, but on the 11th, he revealed his face in a new video of about 61 minutes and 37 seconds.
According to the intelligence group SITE, a terrorist watchdog group, al-Zawahiri said that US troops had withdrawn from Afghanistan after 20 years of war.He also praised al-Qaeda’s attacks, including the January 1 attack on Russian forces in Syria. But Site points out that US withdrawal agreements have already been signed in the past, and that his remarks don’t necessarily mean they were recently filmed. He also pointed out that al-Zawahiri did not mention the Taliban’s occupation of Kabul, the Afghan capital, last month. This suggests that the video may not have been taken recently and that the rumors of his death may be true.
Rumors of al-Zawahiri’s death have been spreading since the end of last year. After that, he did not appear in any videos until a new video message was announced on the 1st.
“He may still be dead (despite the announcement of this video),” said Katz Rita, CEO of Cite, on Twitter.
Source: 동아닷컴 : 동아일보 전체 뉴스 by www.donga.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of 동아닷컴 : 동아일보 전체 뉴스 by www.donga.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!