Recently, the traditional bowling tournament “Dr Jovan Raskovic” was held at the Serbian Cultural Center “Nikola Tesla – Dawton” in Melbourne.
It was another opportunity for the members of the club, but also all people of good will, to gather, socialize and compete.
– Unfortunately, last year the tournament was not held because of the crown, but things are already returning to normal – says the president of the club Goran Popović.
14 teams applied: Dalmatinska Drina, Rokbenk, Tesla, Republika Srpska, Kapetan Dragan, Bukovica, Bećari, Kotarci, Mile Marić, Zvezda, Ravni Kotari, Kadirovi, Ćelavi and Stari.
As we have been informed, the first round was played up to 16 points. When the first round is over, up to 21 points are played.
It all depends on the number of participants – if there are more competitors, 16 teams will advance to the quarterfinals, but as there were fewer of them this year, eight teams went further. After that, the semifinals and finals follow.
The members of the team started the fight after a great morning barbecue!
As one of the participants tells us, the conditions for the game were different before. Competitors did not have zogs like now in the Serbian club.
– We came to make this day, to play pumpkins. That is the most beautiful thing, which we Dalmatians love very much. Today we have 14 teams which is very good, everyone responded. We will see who will win – said Zdenko Mrkić.
While the fierce battle was being fought, roast lamb was being prepared for all the guests.
– I am from the municipality of Benkovac, village of Korlat. I have a lot of experience with baking preparation. We have prepared a pig and three lambs – the president of the club, Goran Popović, will proudly say.
He says that members of the club, but also those who are not, regularly gather in this part of Melbourne.
– We have an extremely good club thanks to the team that works here and all the people who come regularly. These are serious people, responsible. We bought this club in 1992 or 1993, it was a ruin, an old library. Now it has been brought to an enviable condition, everything has been renovated, and a lot of money, work and effort has been invested. Every community, like our Serbian, Orthodox one, should function collectively, because the club cannot survive otherwise – Popović points out.
He adds that all members and interested parties come regularly on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
And indeed, the club jointly makes decisions about organizing events and procuring food.
– We play ballots and cards, joke, hang out, talk business. We have various other activities in the club, such as the Dalmatian evening in October. Unfortunately, in the previous two years, all that fell out of the schedule due to the crown. This year we hope to continue with regular events. We started last year and we hope that we will be able to organize the Serbian Evening every year – says the president of the club.
The tournament was also an opportunity to talk to Milenko Veselinović, one of the founders of the Serbian Club.
– Today we have the most beautiful club in Melbourne, which has also been repaid. And in the beginning, it took a lot of effort and work to achieve that. We are always happy to bocce and play brisket, that is our custom – says Milenko, who left his hometown to go to Australia in 1972.
He tells us that in the beginning he struggled extremely hard, doing two hard jobs, which makes his back significantly hurt today in retirement.
– But, thank God, I’m glad I have, and I have a son and a daughter. I have one grandson and everything is fine now. I can’t go back to the old part, that’s the hardest thing for me, but maybe, one day – the interlocutor of “Vesti” will be sad.
Milenko Veselinović is, by the way, a benefactor who participated in all actions in Melbourne and Sydney.
– I participated in all the actions from Sydney, Bonirig, St. Sava College… Wherever I could help. If I helped, God will help me. And I believe that I will once again manage to go to my village Kašići in the municipality of Benkovac – Milenko will honestly say.
As the participants in the tournament pointed out, their goal every year was and remains to gather, make friends and in the end honor.
And the best are deservedly awarded cups. The third place was won by the Tesla team, the others were Ravni Kotari (favorites until the last moment), and the championship title is held by the Mile Martić team.
Thoughts in the homeland
Members of the Ravni Kotari team say that their region is the richest part in Dalmatia, in the Zadar hinterland. There are a lot of vineyards, figs, meadows…
The move of Neven Jelač, who brought a stone from his hometown to always remind him, also testifies to love.
Or as Popovic explained:
– A man is said to have his roots where he was born. And that root is in his mind, as long as he is alive.
Lamb from the old area
As Popović points out, the lamb is just called that here, but it is not like in the old part.
– Lambs cannot be of the same quality as in our region. Our climate is more favorable for breeding, especially northern Dalmatia, Benkovac municipality, Knin municipality, Bukovica, and the part towards Bosnia, Livno, Glamoc, those were the places where the best lamb was – our interlocutor was informed.
The article Dalmatian Serbs bocce in the heart appears first on Vesti online.
Source: Vesti online by www.vesti-online.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Vesti online by www.vesti-online.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!