The French Allergology Federation wishes to reassure French victims of allergies: it is quite possible for them to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
“Allergy is not a contraindication for vaccination!“ alert Professor Frédéric de Blay, President of the French Allergology Federation. In response to the fears of many people suffering from allergies in France, the Federation wishes to reassure, and above all to avoid seeing 30% of the population deprive themselves of the vaccine against Covid-19, for lack of information.
Anaphylactic reactions and various allergies are to be distinguished
While nearly 500,000 people have already been vaccinated, France has a few rare cases of allergic reactions, especially in Great Britain. Should we be afraid of the vaccine if we are allergic? No. That said, the High Authority for Health (HAS) recently published a notice mentioning a contraindication for the people “with a history of severe manifestations of anaphylactic-type allergy“But not all people with allergies are prone to this type of reaction.
There is indeed a contraindication of this nature to the vaccine, but it is very precise: have already had a reaction to polyethylene glycol found in Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, or polysorbate, spotted in the Astra-Zeneca vaccine.
But of the 30% of French people who are allergic, many can be vaccinated. To help you whether you are eligible for the vaccine, the Federation has listed the types of allergies. If in doubt, consult your allergist doctor.
How do I know if I can get the vaccine if I am allergic?
- The vaccine is safe if you have allergies to breathing, food, or oral medication. And this, regardless of the severity of the allergy.
- If you have ever had an allergy to a vaccine, injectable treatment or unidentified drug, vaccination is not contraindicated, but a consultation with an allergist is necessary beforehand.
- On the other hand, do not get vaccinated if : you have had an allergic reaction to the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, or if you are allergic to any of the ingredients, such as polysorbate or polyethylene glycol.
Sources: Site of the French Allergology Federation, Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS).
Subscribe to the Top Santé Newsletter to receive the latest news for free
Coronavirus serological screening
- Walk-in medical consultation with prescription if necessary, for a Coronavirus serological test
- Laboratory tests reimbursed by prescription only
- Interpretation of results and unlimited exchanges with the doctor during the consultation
Source: Topsante.com by www.topsante.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Topsante.com by www.topsante.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!