Corona confirmed ‘0’… More than 100,000 North Koreans accommodated in quarantine facilities

The Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the North Korean Workers’ Party, reported on the 17th that various places are aggressively conducting emergency quarantine against the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). /Photo = Rodong Sinmun News 1

North Korea is still claiming that there are ‘0’ confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). However, it is known that more than 100,000 residents in North Korea are currently quarantined in state facilities due to suspected COVID-19 symptoms, such as high fever and shortness of breath.

According to Daily NK, a high-ranking source inside North Korea on the 18th, as of the beginning of this month, there were 104,000 suspected cases of COVID-19 who were detained in national quarantine facilities installed in each region, including South Pyongan Province, Hwanghae Province, North Hamgyong Province, Yanggang Province, Jagang Province, and Nampo City.

It is said that North Korea’s Central Emergency Response Command has a system in place to receive weekly statistics on resident, discharged, and death statistics from quarantine facilities installed in each region, and report them to the authorities by synthesizing them monthly and quarterly.

As of November 1, last year, as of November 1, last year, the total number of people quarantined in state-designated facilities due to COVID-19-related symptoms was 81,000. (▶Shortcut to related articles: North Korea’s internal counting results… “At least 80,000 cumulative quarantines suspected of Corona”)

As a result, at least 185,000 civilians have shown related symptoms since the border closures due to the COVID-19 outbreak and have been detained in national quarantine facilities. In particular, it is known that North Korea operates separate quarantine facilities for soldiers and high-ranking officials, so the total number of quarantined people in North Korea is estimated to be higher than this.

In North Korea, if a fever of 37.5 degrees or higher continues, or symptoms such as coughing or shortness of breath appear, self-quarantine as a subject of surveillance for 7 days.

If symptoms do not improve during the self-isolation period, they are forced to enter a national quarantine facility. When the health authorities issue a medical certificate to the family of the inmate, the family must submit it to the person’s workplace or institution.

Until last year, residents who did not want to enter quarantine facilities paid bribes to avoid forced quarantine, but since the 8th Party Congress in January of this year, it has been reported that subjects must follow the quarantine procedures unconditionally regardless of their rank.

The problem is that after entering the quarantine facility, treatment is not performed properly, and the condition worsens due to the poor environment, leading to death.

It is said that few people use it as it is because the heating is not working properly in winter, and the blankets provided are too thin and unhygienic such as crawling teeth.

Most of them are sent by family or paid to medical staff or administrators to buy a separate blanket, but in winter it is too cold to sleep with a thick blanket called a thin blanket.

In addition, the two meals a day divided into morning and afternoon are also known to be quite poor.

It is said that salt soup with rice mixed with corn (corn) and Chinese cabbage is a fixed menu, and when the electricity is cut off, cold cabbage soup with only unripe rice and cabbage pickled in cold water is served. Despite this, the source said that in quarantine facilities, inmates receive a meal of 500 to 1,200 won a day when they are released.

In addition, it is said that visits to quarantined residents are not allowed under any circumstances, and if family members send money, the administrators also provide meals.

Meanwhile, according to the ‘Corona 19 Weekly Situation Report’ for the 44th week of this year by the World Health Organization (WHO) South and East Asia Office released on the 15th, the North Korean Ministry of Health will conduct a COVID-19 diagnostic test on 44,830 residents by the 4th of this month. A total of 89,386 samples were tested, but all were reported to be ‘negative’.

However, North Korea said that 109 of the residents who were tested for COVID-19 between October 29 and November 4 were suffering from flu-like illness or severe acute respiratory infection (SARI).


Source: DailyNK by www.dailynk.com.

*The article has been translated based on the content of DailyNK by www.dailynk.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!