Cleaning a birdhouse is at least as important as its safe construction.
The most important care of the birdhouse is the annual cleaning. Remove the bottom and scrape away any old nesting material and debris on top of the bottom.
Birds make the nest new from the beginning, even if the old nest in the pot might be suitable for them. Cleaning the birdhouse is important because if old nests are not cleaned away, they will accumulate in the bowl on top of each other. Eventually, the new resident will no longer be able to nest inside.
Old nesting materials can also contain parasites and accumulate moisture, which can impair the survival of the chicks. Sometimes dead chicks can also remain in the nest.
Bowl if another is visible Mikko Laine in the backyard here and there. It can be said that the housing situation of the birds in this yard is in an exceptionally good state.
“I started nibbling on birdhouses twenty years ago with my bird hobby. There are not enough natural holes for all the birds, and in addition they rot in a few years so that the dart goes out of their walls by throwing it in. I also noticed that many birdhouse makers did not have knowledge of suitable materials or the needs of different bird species. As a result, the pots do not last long or can even be dangerous to birds. ”
In his home workshop, Mikko makes birdhouses for all the birds nesting in the bowls in Finland, from terns to barn owls and from barn owls to wagtails. In addition to the bowls, he also creates settlements for hedgehogs, flying squirrels and bats.
Helping birds is Laine’s main motivation in her work, but she reminds us that birdhouses have many benefits for humans as well. The most concrete help is that the little birds nesting in the garden snapped pests from the plants on their beak.
“Watching birds’ nesting trees is also fascinating, not to mention endless bird singing concerts. A few years ago we washed every corner of the house in an open box with dreadlocks. You can only imagine how wonderful a soundscape they were! ” Mikko says.
Easy birdhouse, help:
115 cm piece of 12.5–15 cm wide raw board
about 20 × 20 cm piece of film faced plywood
with a suitable drill bit
air vent cover
plastic-coated installation cable (from an electrician) or other weather-resistant hanging wire
DO LIKE THIS:
1. Saw four 30 cm pieces from the board into the walls of the bowl and one piece into the bottom.
2. Drill a hole in the board for the air vent. The diameter of the opening of the bowl for tit and rainbow trout is 2.8 cm.
3. Nail a protective damper around the air vent with a hole the size of an air vent. It prevents the sticks from knocking the opening bigger and getting into the chicks.
4. Assemble the bowl by fixing the walls with nails. Hit the nails in slightly different directions so they hold better.
5. Also nail the ceiling in place. Attach a piece of film-faced plywood so that the walls have a few cents left of the eaves, more in front. It protects the walls of the bowl from getting wet.
6. Drill two holes in the lower parts of the side walls for attaching each base piece.
7. Also drill holes in the top of the side walls to thread the hanging wire.
8. Measure the size of the base piece, and saw a suitable piece of the board. Secure the base in place with hooks.
9. Using side cutters, cut a suitable length of wire from the installation cable into the fastening wire of the bowl, thread it through the holes in the bowl.
The story has been published in Kotiliedee 8/2021.
Source: Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!