Chega militants fail death penalty and re-elect André Ventura


Chega militants reject the death penalty for crimes such as terrorism or child abuse. In a referendum held this Saturday, 56% of the militants spoke out against the death penalty and the remaining 44% in favor.

Chega militants were also called to vote on André Ventura’s successor in the party leadership, the only candidate for the position being Ventura himself, who managed to collect 99% of the votes.

The results of the internal elections – in which 40% of the members of the universe of about 11 thousand who were qualified – voted – were announced at the party’s headquarters in Lisbon, by the president of the Convention Bureau, Luís Graça.

In the speech transmitted through Facebook, Ventura revealed that his goal is to take Chega to a third Portuguese party in the next elections and reach the Government in the following ones.

In this speech, André Ventura also announced that he will present his proposal for constitutional revision on September 21.

“I want to thank the proof of confidence with a vote as expressive as the one that took place. It is not every day that a leader of a party with a seat of Parliament, with a year of parliamentary wear, with various internal and external struggles achieves a percentage above 99% for re-election, “André Ventura told reporters after the results were announced.

For the president of Chega now reelected, starting today, one must “look at a new phase of the party as a united party and a party that will be able to fight fundamental battles for its future”.

“As of today, a new phase in Chega begins. A party, a leader and a destination. And that destination is the Government of Portugal. Today we begin to make this path”, he said, reiterating the electoral objective of being the third force in the next legislative elections.

André Ventura resigned from the party leadership in early April, after being the target of internal criticism for his abstaining from voting for the renewal of the state of emergency enacted due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

At the time, Chega’s only deputy claimed to be “fed up” and “tired” of those who “systematically boycott” the party’s leadership.

André Ventura was elected president of Chega for the first time at the party’s 1st National Convention, on June 30, 2019, in the auditorium of the Portuguese Institute of Meteorology and Atmosphere, in Algés, Lisbon.


Source: Renascença – Noticias by rr.sapo.pt.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Renascença – Noticias by rr.sapo.pt. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!