As food enters the duodenum from the stomach, the gallbladder shrinks and injects toxin-green bile, which breaks down fats and fat-soluble vitamins.
If gallstones occur along the way, wavy and banded pain occurs, which may be accompanied by nausea or vomiting. Usually the pain radiates to the right shoulder area or shoulders.
Deep breathing intensifies the pain.
– The pain is so severe that cold sweat may get on your skin. Most people seek emergency care at this point, says the specialist Juha-Matti Laaksonen.
Content will continue after the ad
However, more than 10 years of experience as a gastroenterologist has shown that the spectrum of symptoms is wide.
Content continues below the ad
Some people feel nauseous and full of swelling after eating after a meal.
The moving stone hurts
Sometimes the concentration of cholesterol and bile salts in the bile fluid increases so much that they crystallize and gallstones form.
The pain occurs when the stone wedges into the mouth of the gallbladder and the smooth-muscled wall tries to “sink” the stone forward.
– It’s a bit lucky to see the stones wedge in the bile ducts. On the other hand, the gallbladder may be full of stones, but man is blissfully ignorant of them. Then sometimes even a single stone can cause severe pain, says a specialist in gastroenterological surgery Jukka Harju.
First aid for painkillers
A person who has had a bile duct attack will have a new seizure with a probability of about 50 percent over the next year.
– An NSAID can make you feel better, but there is also a combination medicine that is a painkiller and a medicine that relaxes the muscles of the gallbladder wall. If the medicine has been prescribed, you can take it and wait for the pain to ease within a couple of hours, says Jukka Harju.
If the pain attack takes you to the emergency room, the medicine is often given directly into a vein.
Danger without treatment
Gallstones should be treated as an inflamed gallbladder may erupt.
If continued for a long time, the inflammation may even predispose to gallbladder cancer.
Outbreaks in the gallbladder, on the other hand, can cause a wet liver.
– In acute cholecystitis, the pain is severe, there may be a fever and the inflammatory values may increase. When the inflammation becomes chronic, there can be only a small freezing pain for a long time, Laaksonen says.
Off even by mouth
In ultrasound, the stones in the gallbladder are well visible, but magnetic resonance imaging is a more detailed study in the examination of the bile duct stones.
– If stones are found in the main penis, they can be removed with the so-called ERCP technique, ie oral endoscopy. In the study, a contrast agent is injected into the bile ducts and gallstones can be removed with various instruments in connection with the study, says Juha-Matti Laaksonen.
ERCP is often successful with painkillers and sedatives, but some patients have to be anesthetized.
Although there are also medications that dissolve gallstones, they only bite into small gallstones. Symptoms also return easily after stopping the medication. Medication is used only if surgical treatment is not possible.
Worsens the symptoms of a bile attack
- Fatty and sour foods.
- Gas is formed by foods such as cabbage, onions, lantern, mushrooms, beans, lentils and peas, as well as apple and pear.
- Vinegar and preserves containing vinegar.
- Carbonated drinks and coffee.
- Spicy and smoked foods.
- Freshly baked bread and bun.
- Sweeteners such as sorbitol and xylitol.
They increase the risk of stones
- Gallstones are common – at least 10 percent of the population has gallstones at some point in their lives. With age, the secretion of cholesterol into the bile increases, which increases the formation of gallstones.
- In women, gallstones are more common than in men because estrogen increases the secretion of cholesterol into the bile.
- OVERWEIGHT, fasting and agile weight loss also increase cholesterol formation and biliary excretion. Smoking and heavy alcohol consumption, as well as little exercise, also expose them to gallstones.
- CARP, in which proteins and fats are refueled and carbohydrates are avoided, predisposes to gallstones. Instead, a high-fiber diet binds bile acids and thus reduces the formation of gallstones. Fibers are easily obtained from, for example, fruits, berries, roots, beans, whole grains and oats.
Experts: Jukka Harju, specialist in gastroenterological surgery, HUS. Juha-Matti Laaksonen, specialist in gastroenterology, Pihlajalinna.
This article appeared in Good Health. As a subscriber, you can read all numbers free of charge from the digilehdet.fi service
Source: Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!