MOST travelers do not go on holiday abroad without travel insurance. With all the necessities before the trip, this item is not negligible – for a family of four for common destinations with covid coverage included, it is around 50 euros.
The problem is when tourists do not receive the expected reimbursement of medical expenses and when they count on it with certainty. While they believe that it is a deception of insurance companies, insurers claim that policy buyers do not read the contracts and miss out on important details – such as the fact that the insurance does not cover allergy to the sun.
Recently, a similar situation stirred up the public. A citizen of Belgrade shared his experience and conflict with the insurance company on social networks. Namely, as he explained, during the summer vacation in Cyprus, his wife had an allergic reaction on the second day, due to which she got a swelling under her eye. They had, as he announced, a policy in “Millennium Insurance”.
– When I called them to start the policy, they told us that they didn’t have anyone in Cyprus, so we should manage ourselves, and that they would reimburse us for the costs – this Belgrade resident said.
– Why do they sell policies for destinations where they have no one! We followed the instructions, did as we were told, had an examination, my wife received her medication and on the way back submitted for a refund.
As he said, they received a surprising answer from the insurance company. Turns out insurance doesn’t cover sun allergy.
– As they answered us – in accordance with Article 17 of the Conditions for providing assistance during travel abroad, the insurer’s obligation to cover costs is excluded when the case arises as a result of the insured’s exposure to the sun’s rays – this insured writes and specifically underlines that nowhere in the report the doctor does not say that the allergic reaction is caused by the sun. The insurance amount was about 8,000 dinars, but it was not returned to him.
Judging by the comments below this post, a large number of insurance users in Serbia had similar experiences.
According to the answer we received from “Millenijum osiguranje”, the travel insurance policy with assistance does not cover allergies to the sun, which, they say, is common with other insurance companies as well.
– Regarding the specific case in Cyprus, the insured complained about a problem with her eye, and bearing in mind that the organization of the examination is based on the statement of the insured about the specific problem, assistance – a company that cooperates with a large number of domestic insurers, offered to organize the examination and in at that moment there was no knowledge that it was an allergic reaction – they say from “Millenium”.
– Although the insured was offered the option of organizing an examination, she went to the examination on her own initiative, after which, upon her return to Serbia, a request for reimbursement of expenses was submitted with supporting documentation.
As our interlocutors explain, a doctor’s report was submitted where the diagnosis was acute allergic dermatitis on the face and a statement from the insured containing the information that the reaction occurred during exposure to the sun and being on the beach. And the travel insurance policy does not cover it, as with other insurance companies.
– We emphasize that every insured person has the right to submit a request for reimbursement of expenses paid anywhere abroad, if the policy was contracted for that part of the world and the requested medical assistance is covered by the policy – they explain in “Millenijumu”.
– If in the specific case there is no network of medical institutions with which there is a contract on direct cooperation, the examination is organized through a partner of the assistance house, which was offered to the insured in this specific case.
A travel insurance POLICY with assistance in this case is contracted for a sum of up to 30,000 euros. It is a family policy for a period of 16 days, and the premium was 8,154 dinars. The user paid 80 euros for the examination in Cyprus. As they unofficially explained to us, it would not be profitable for any insurer to cover sun allergies, or the policies would have to be much more expensive.
PAID 14.2 MILLION
From the beginning of the year, until August 15, regarding the claims of travel insurance with assistance, “Millenijum osiguranje” had 1,191 cases in processing, and an amount of 14.2 million dinars was paid based on these claims – say our interlocutors.
– “Millenijum osiguranje” has always tried to be as up-to-date as possible regarding the payment of claims, and we intend to be recognized for this in the future as well, and we improve our work with clients every day.
Source: Novosti.rs RSS – Današnje vesti by www.novosti.rs.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Novosti.rs RSS – Današnje vesti by www.novosti.rs. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!