Europe’s leading sustainable tourism destination for 2022, the Region of Attica was named the largest institution of the tourism industry, the World Travel Awards, winning 1st place among leading international destinations such as Baden-Württemberg, Dubrovnik, Edinburgh, Funchal , Pembrokeshire and the Algarve.
It is an award that promotes the comparative advantages of a place that make it attractive, in all seasons of the year and at the same time serves the principles of sustainability.
The promotion of Attica was based on the following main pillars:
– In the cultural wealth and natural beauty of the region (long coastline with enchanting – awarded with the Blue Flag – beaches, mountain forests of exceptional natural beauty, plains with famous vineyards and wineries to visit, idyllic islands, etc.)
– In its modern infrastructure (award-winning International Airport in terms of safety and service, Piraeus – one of the leading ports in Europe, impressive yacht marinas, plenty of accommodation and catering services, entertainment, etc.)
– In the integrated plan implemented by the region in order to become the first “Green” and includes:
• The creation of new waste management units, which will function as integrated Circular Economy Parks
• The strengthening of recycling through the supply of equipment that is distributed to the municipalities
• The separate collection of bio-waste and the construction of inter-municipal units for their management throughout Attica,
• The formulation of an updated master plan for flood protection
• The update-update of the environmental studies
• The formation of a modern civil protection model
Regarding this important distinction, the regional governor of Attica Giorgos Patoulis said:
“The consecutive distinctions of Attica at the World Travel Awards, the biggest institution of the tourism industry, demonstrate that the methodical work done in the Attica Region is bearing fruit.
It is my deep conviction that tourism is one of the main pillars of our economy and in this context the investment in the tourism product of our Attica remains high on the agenda of our priorities.
Attica, as the largest and metropolitan region of the country, is changing in terms of sustainable development and is changing into a modern and functional region with a human face. The large infrastructure projects combined with visionary actions and interventions form a landscape in which everyone, residents and visitors, can experience a unique tourist experience.
Attica, after taking first place in the World Ranking of metropolitan seaside destinations for 2021, at the World Travel Awards, was also declared “Europe’s Top Sustainable Tourism Destination for 2022″, which fills us with a sense of pride for what we have achieved , but also debt to complete our goals, creating Attica as a welcoming destination, 365 days a year. Attica has a present and a future that belongs to everyone.”
The nomination of the Region of Attica as “Europe’s Leading Sustainable Tourism Destination 2022” was handled by the “New Metropolitan Attica” Development Organization, which specializes in strategic planning and the development of important local government actions and projects.
Finally, the World Travel Awards are a global institution that, since 1993, has awarded the main protagonists of the tourism industry. Today, it is recognized as the ultimate trademark of the travel industry.
Source: Zougla.gr by www.zougla.gr.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Zougla.gr by www.zougla.gr. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!