Astrakhan fishing enterprises will not have time to use the catch quotas allocated to them in 2021 by the end of the autumn fishing season, by December 10. According to the regional Ministry of Agriculture, this is due to a decrease in fish stocks caused by the shallowing of the Volga and the Caspian Sea, and the activation of poachers.
“There is global warming, the air temperature is increasing, the amount of precipitation is decreasing, the Caspian is receding: in the rolling part of the sea, where the main fishing is taking place, there is a severe shortage of water,” said Ruslan Pashayev, Minister of Agriculture and Fishing Industry of the Astrakhan Region.
According to the ministry, by mid-November, the catch amounted to only 32 thousand tons of fish. Moreover, as RG previously wrote, the forecast of the generally permissible catch for 2021 was determined at 68.6 thousand tons.
– Unfortunately, this year there will be a negative result. Most likely, it is worse than last year, – Ruslan Pashayev said.
In connection with a decrease in the catch, the price of fish products is growing. In particular, the cost of pike caviar now reaches 2.5 – 2.7 thousand rubles per kilogram, although back in 2019 it could be bought for 1 – 1.5 thousand.
– There is an uncontrolled catch of fish with illegal gear in wintering pits in late autumn and early spring, when pike is with caviar. Now the fishing season will end, and fresh fish will not go anywhere from the shelves. Where does it come from there? After all, this is actually an open sale of poaching fish. We constantly ask these questions to law enforcement agencies, – says Ruslan Pashayev.
The number of roach is drastically reduced. According to the Volga-Caspian branch of the All-Russian Research Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography (VNIRO), the reserves of this once abundant fish, which are caught in Russia only in the Astrakhan region, amount to 23 thousand tons.
– The situation is alarming. If the indicator for reserves is below 20 thousand tons, then a moratorium on fishing is necessary, – said Pashayev. – As long as there are no bans, I am opposed to this, because instead of honest fishermen, poachers will start catching vobla. Our proposal is different, to engage in artificial reproduction of roach.
It is noteworthy that such work has never been carried out, moreover, in the 50s of the last century, scientists came to the conclusion that it is inexpedient to grow roach in artificial conditions. However, since then, according to the Ministry of Agriculture, science has stepped forward. In particular, the reproduction of bream and carp gave their fruits, and today these species prevail in the catch. A repetition of the experiment with a vobla, perhaps, will be no less effective.
– We urged scientists to approach the solution of the problem in a comprehensive manner: to allocate funds and specialists for this work. In the spring we will begin to develop the technology, the fishermen are ready to participate in the project, – Ruslan Pashayev said.
According to him, the Astrakhan region has extensive experience in working with aquaculture, the region is one of the five best in the country. In total, there are 120 enterprises in the region that are engaged in the artificial reproduction of fish.
– We have a scientific institute that is developing technologies, strong traditions, qualified personnel, the required number of breeding farms that can provide planting material, that is, everything to remain leaders in the field of aquaculture.
Andrey Markin, President of the Kaspryba Union of Fishing and Fish Processing Enterprises:
– The main reason for the decrease in the number of fish is the low flood. For several years now, the schedule and volume of spring floods on the Volga have not been conducive to the reproduction of fish, in particular, roach. Water from the upper Volga reservoirs is given to the lower reaches either early or late; for economic purposes, the periods and volumes of discharges are reduced, as a result, fish fry do not have time to mature and die.
Viktor Danilov, General Director of the Old Volga and Astra-Fish House fishing companies, Chairman of the Beshtug agricultural consumer fish cooperative:
– Reducing the number of fish – roach, pike perch every year. A set of measures is needed to preserve fish species. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the specifics of the region. First of all, it is necessary to fight against poaching. We also need total control over the observance of the catch rate, over the acceptance by the border guards. And as the water level goes down, dredging also needs to be done.
Source: Российская Газета by rg.ru.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Российская Газета by rg.ru. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!