All of Coop’s stores are open again after Friday’s global IT attack, which knocked out the food chain’s checkout system. According to Coop, no extortion requirements have been directed specifically at the food chain. – We have not paid any money, says Coop’s CEO Magnus Johansson.
Coop announces that from 15.00 on Thursday, all stores are finally open.
– From now on, we have the opportunity to sell goods at all our Coop stores in Sweden, says Coop’s CEO Magnus Johansson to TT.
About a hundred technicians have worked intensively to restart cash by cash manually, in store after store.
– It is what has taken time, that we have had to physically send out technicians to all stores in the extensive store network that Coop has, says Johansson and continues:
– We are often one of the few stores in some parts of Sweden and even the last store in the area. We apologize to our customers who were not able to shop.
Have not paid
Coop has reported the IT attack to the police, which forced the majority of the chain’s stores to close.
– We have tried to be clear and transparent that we were part of the global cyber attack. We have had meetings with representatives from the police and provided it with the information they have asked us for.
According to Coop, no extortion requirements have been addressed specifically to the food chain.
– We have not paid any money, says Magnus Johansson.
There is no indication that the hackers came across the customers’ personal data and card details, according to Johansson.
– Our professional partners note the same thing around the world.
The extensive so-called ransomware attack began last Friday and was aimed at the Miami-based software company Kaseya, which sells IT services to customers globally. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of companies around the world have been affected, among them Visma Esscom, which provides Coop and other Swedish companies with cash solutions.
– We were one of the companies through a subcontractor who had the software. But it was not an attack on Coop, but an attack on society at large. And I think society and we will have to reflect on that after this.
Both self-payment cash registers and staffed cash registers suddenly stopped working on Friday night. On Sunday, the food chain had managed to open around 300 stores for trade with an alternative payment solution.
– Now we see the value of complementary digital payment solutions. Online shopping has also worked as usual. Now we are looking at having it as widely spread in Sweden as possible.
The attack has hit Coop hard, which so far has focused on getting the trade started as soon as possible.
– It is of course great economic values that may have been lost.
Facts: Thousands of companies may be affected
The American software company Kaseya, which sells IT services to large numbers of customers around the world, was subjected to a comprehensive ransomware attack on Friday.
Thousands of companies around the world may be affected, including Visma Esscom, which provides Coop and other Swedish companies with cash solutions.
A ransomware attack means that the perpetrator places software on the target, manages to lock his entire system and then demands a ransom to unlock it.
A group of hackers calling themselves Revil has been identified as responsible for the attack. The group has, via its blog, demanded 70 million dollars, equivalent to almost 600 million kronor, to open the systems again.
According to the US FBI, it was the same group that last month attacked one of the world’s largest meat groups, JBS in Brazil, in a similar attack.
According to a statement from US President Joe Biden, Friday’s hacker attack will be investigated by US intelligence.
Source: Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!