Accident in Odenthal: Beekeeper dies after a fire in an oven


At first everything looked like an internal emergency. What the rescue service then discovered in the house on Odenthaler Strasse in Voiswinkel immediately triggered a large-scale operation.

It was early Friday morning when an emergency call was received from Voiswinkel at the fire and rescue control center. According to the police, a resident of the house had found a 79-year-old neighbor who was apparently not accessible.

First, the Odenthal ambulance was sent to the scene, reports the head of the Odenthal fire brigade, Tobias Peter, on request.

The rescuers noticed a burning smell on site

At that time, the rescuers had assumed an internal emergency, but then noticed the smell of burning on site. The fire fighting groups Voiswinkel and Scherf of the Odenthal volunteer fire brigade were also alerted immediately.

Under the direction of Daniel Winkelhausen, they also found some embers in the apartment. “It must have smoldered there for a long time,” says Tobias Peters. The resident also tried to delete it. “He had a fire extinguisher with him.”

But there was nothing to help him himself. The emergency doctor could only determine the death of the 79-year-old. Fire investigators assume that the 79-year-old may have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The dangerous respiratory poison can arise from the incomplete combustion of carbonaceous fuels.

Police ordered an autopsy to clarify the cause of death

In the 79-year-old’s apartment, the police fire investigators found a heating cabinet to liquefy honey, as police spokesman Christian Tholl confirmed on Monday upon request. Apparently there was a technical defect in the beekeeping device, said the spokesman for the district police.

“We are currently assuming an accident.” Nevertheless – as is usual in such cases – an autopsy is ordered, according to Tholl. You should bring final clarity about the cause of death. The smoldering fire in the apartment may have started on Thursday evening.

In order to be able to extinguish the last embers, the apartment was cleared in the morning, reports Odenthal’s fire department chief Peters of the further procedure in the apartment, which has been badly affected by fire smoke.

During the extinguishing work, for which a water supply was also directed via Odenthaler Straße in Voiswinkel, the main traffic artery in the village was temporarily completely closed.


Source: Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger – Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger by www.ksta.de.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger – Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger by www.ksta.de. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!