Coconut oil has many uses that we may not expect, which go beyond the food part, but which instead involve small beauty rituals. If we have dandruff problems, this natural remedy can help us solve them. But even if we need to freshen our breath and eliminate bacteria from the oral cavity, coconut oil is a great ally that we can’t give up.
The best uses ofcoconut oil perhaps they are the ones we do not expect: everyone knows that this ingredient is excellent in the kitchen for sweet and savory recipes. But in the field of health and beauty it can prove to be a great ally. The credit goes to his moisturizing power, but also antibacterial and antifungal, which make him a friend of certain daily beauty rituals.
In fact, having a jar of organic coconut oil in the pantry is always a good idea, both for the aforementioned recipes and to meet the needs of skin and hair. But that’s not all, since this natural remedy also helps us in the field of oral hygiene, as we will see below.
Coconut oil: the benefits
Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the pulp of coconuts ripened and harvested from the coconut palm, a member of the Arecaceae family. Coconuts, despite their name, are technically not nuts but drupes, i.e. fruits with a single seed.
From here the pulp and the oil are extracted, which boasts benefits antioxidants and emollientsthanks to the content of polyphenols and vitamin E. Coconut oil is mainly composed of medium-chain fatty acids, of which 50% is lauric acid, which has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
Usually, those with skin problems, even in the case of eczema and psoriasis, find relief in the topical use of this oil for skin treatment. The anti-inflammatory and moisturizing virtues of this natural remedy have proved to be a valid aid in soothing the redness, irritation and itching associated with these ailments.
But lauric acid, which we have seen to be present in coconut oil, is also excellent for the protection of hair and skin, to which it gives health and nourishment.
The 7 unexpected uses of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a panacea that helps solve both cooking problems and health and beauty problems, but sometimes we don’t know which ones. We said it, it has excellent moisturizing power and many use it to soothe dry skin. But there are uses of this natural remedy that perhaps we do not expect and which, instead, we should know.
- For oral health – The oil pulling method, which is well known and appreciated in Ayurvedic medicine, has coconut and sesame oil at the base of the treatment. Rinse your mouth in the morning for at least ten minutes with one of these antibacterial oils and then spit it out in a handkerchief. In a second moment, the teeth are brushed as usual, to have a fresh and healthy mouth, which toothpaste and toothbrush alone cannot guarantee.
- To remove waterproof make-up – We know, waterproof makeup is a very mangy when it comes to washing it off. But a natural method to remove it effortlessly is to use coconut oil. Pour it onto a cotton ball and pass it over the eyes and face with circular movements. Waterproof makeup won’t hold up to this oil. The next step is to use regular cleansing milk to eliminate the residual traces.
- For hair health – Coconut oil-based wraps can help a scalp afflicted with dandruff. But even in the case of frizzy hair or dull stem, we can rely on this remedy. The moisturizing and nourishing power of this oil also helps in styling curly hair, giving it shape and shine.
- For cleaning makeup brushes – The makeup on our face, as mentioned, can be removed with a cotton cloth and coconut oil. But it’s also great for cleaning makeup brushes, without using chemical degreasers. We just need to pass this oil on the bristles and rub with our fingers for a few moments. The make-up will begin to come off and free the brushes from dirt. We will wash them afterwards with a neutral soap to eliminate the last residues.
- For nail cuticles – Actually, coconut oil is a great friend of nails, not just the skin around them. In case of cuticles, a local massage helps to make the area softer. But if we also want the nails to benefit from it, becoming stronger and brighter, massage it on the fingers as well.
- For foot health – The antifungal power of coconut oil has also been shown to help fight athlete’s foot, but in combination with normal therapies. It is also excellent in case of cracked heels.
- For Fido’s fingertips – The paws of our animals, especially those of Fido, can sometimes dry out and crack. Coconut oil is a natural remedy that can act as a local emollient and moisturizer. It is a cuddle without side effects, even in the case of licks, to be spread with a massage on dry fingertips.
Source: GreenStyle by www.greenstyle.it.
*The article has been translated based on the content of GreenStyle by www.greenstyle.it. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!