This year, the 65th Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Rotterdam.
Belarus may ban participation in Eurovision-2021 / photo eurovision.tv
Belarus may be deprived of the opportunity to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2021.
This proposal was made by MEP Karin Carlsbro. She wrote about this on her page Facebook.
“Today I took the initiative in the European Parliament to collect signatures for a letter to the European Union on radio and television demanding to exclude Belarus from participating in the spring Eurovision Song Contest in the Netherlands,” she wrote.
She called unacceptable cooperation with the state-owned Bilteleradiocompany, which continues to persecute employees.
Eurovision-2021: what is known
- The competition will take place in Rotterdam in May
- The semifinals will be held on May 18 and 20, and the final – on May 22
- The results of the draw of the semifinals of the canceled competition remain in force
- To participate in the show, all winners must submit new songs
Elections and protests in Belarus: chronology of events
- Belarus held presidential elections on August 9. According to official CEC data, 80.1% of voters voted for Oleksandr Lukashenko and 10.1% for his main opponent, Svitlana Tikhanovska.
- After the election results were announced, protests engulfed the country. Security forces detained protesters and used force against them, and the government opened politically motivated cases against the opposition.
- Lukashenko has repeatedly stated that the situation in Belarus is being shaken from the outside, in particular from Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine and the United States.
- The European Union did not recognize the election results and decided to impose sanctions on Belarusian officials responsible for falsifying voting results and using violence against dissidents.
- Lukashenko’s secret inauguration took place on September 23 in Minsk.
- Belarusian oppositionist Svitlana Tikhanovska, who was forced to leave for Lithuania due to political persecution, asked the OSCE to help her return home.
Read the latest news of Ukraine and the world on the UNIAN channel Telegram
If you find an error, select it with the mouse and press Ctrl + Enter
Source: Інформаційне Агентство УНІАН by www.unian.ua.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Інформаційне Агентство УНІАН by www.unian.ua. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!