2-year-old boy was able to eat normally for the first time thanks to surgery using magnets

Henryk Deneen, a 2-year-old boy, can now eat normally after surgeons first used magnets to repair a portion of his esophagus, which connects his mouth to his stomach. Born at 33 weeks pregnant and therefore premature, the child suffered from a condition known as esophageal atresia. Instead of having the shape of a complete tube, the esophagus is in two disconnected parts, so it becomes impossible to ingest and digest food, specifies Newsweek.

Henryk Deneen suffered from a particularly severe form of this birth defect. A significant portion of his esophagus was not formed when he was born. The little boy therefore spent the first months of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit, the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation said.

Let the magnets attract to bring the fabrics together

To try to close the space between the two parts of little Henryk’s digestive tract, surgeons at the Montreal Children’s Hospital used magnets to bring the stomach back to the esophagus. “The idea is that if you have too big a gap, you put magnets on each end and let them attract and stretch the fabrics, until they come together and bring the two parts together.”said Dr Sherif Emil, director of pediatric surgery at the Montreal hospital.

The Canadian doctors worked in collaboration with Italian surgeons, who had designed a stent (endoprosthesis), which the Montreal team wanted to use to help Henryk. They needed their indications to recreate the stent, which was not approved for use in Canada.

The operation lasted twelve hours, wrote her mother, Joy Deneen, in a message for the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation. The child was then intubated and sedated for several days. After two weeks, the doctors found that the procedure was working as they expected. “The day when [les aimants] finally got closer, it was truly the most beautiful and touching day of my life, I will never forget it, told by Joy Deneen. It’s a miracle for me… We weren’t sure he would ever be able to eat normally. The fact that he was 2 years old and that he got to eat a piece of birthday cake, it was really amazing. ”

“After two long months of convalescence, we were finally able to go home, added the mother in her post in tribute to the staff of the hospital. Her longtime nurse was with us on this emotional last day. We had grown so attached to these wonderful people. They not only took care of Henryk, they also treated us with deep empathy, and were extremely supportive. After a long farewell, we finally brought our baby home. ”

Source: Slate.fr by www.slate.fr.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Slate.fr by www.slate.fr. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!